Great job. That is good to hear that things are running back to normal again.
This is my normal post for when you are clear - which you now are - or seem to be. Please advise of any problems you still have :-
Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
- You can go back and rehide system files:
- Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
- Double-click on the My Computer icon (or click Start, then select My Computer)
- Select the Tools menu at top of this screen and click Folder Options.
- After the new window appears select the View tab.
- Remove checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
- Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button(round circle) labeled Do not Show hidden files and folders.
- Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
- Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
- Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
- Disable and Enable System Restore. - You are using Windows XP then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.
You can find instructions on how to enable and re enable system restore here:
Windows XP System Restore Guide
re-enable system restore with instructions from tutorial above
- Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
- From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
- Click once on the Security tab
- Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
- Click once on the Custom Level button.
- Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
- Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
- Change the Initialise and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
- Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
- Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
- Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
- When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
- If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
- Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
- Use an Anti Virus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future. See this link for a listing of some on line & their stand-alone anti virus programs:
Computer Safety On line - Anti-Virus
- Update your Anti Virus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Anti virus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your anti virus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
- Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. For an article on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:
Computer Safety On line - Software Firewalls
- Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
- Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option.
This will provide real-time spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an anti virus software. A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
Instructions for - Spybot S & D and Ad-aware
- Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. You should also scan your computer with the program on a regular basis just as you would an anti virus software in conjunction with Spybot. A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:
Instructions for - Spybot S & D and Ad-aware
- Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs. A article on anti-malware products with links for this program and others can be found here:
Computer Safety on line - Anti-Malware
- Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Stand up and be Counted.
NOW is the time you can start to hit back at the people who infected you.
Please take the time to go and complain - that forum has a topic for your infection which is Vundo please post as a reply, you will need to register to do so. It will also have a list of other places you can go to to register your complaint, depending on the country you are resident in. Please read the topics and complain, it is only with such complaints to goverment or government agances that something will get done.
May your God go with you..