Welcome to MalwareRemoval.com,
What if we told you that you could get malware removal help from experts, and that it was 100% free? MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Our help, and the tools we use are always 100% free. No hidden catch. We simply enjoy helping others. You enjoy a clean, safe computer.

Malware Removal Instructions

Not sure of problem

MalwareRemoval.com provides free support for people with infected computers. Using plain language that anyone can understand, our community of volunteer experts will walk you through each step.

Not sure of problem

Unread postby jdp » August 3rd, 2006, 7:23 pm

When I try Internet Explorer it shuts down after a few seconds, I can run it in safe mode however. Before it shuts down I get the following message on the bottom - windows/system32/shdoclc.dll/dnserror.
I really am an amature at this so I hope this is enough. Tried lots of different detection tools before posting.
Thanks for the help

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:20:05 PM, on 03/08/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://store.presario.net/scripts/redir ... 01&lc=0409
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://store.presario.net/scripts/redir ... 01&lc=0409
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://store.presario.net/scripts/redir ... 01&lc=0409
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Compaq
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Fire-Trust SiteHound - {C86AE9C0-0909-4DDC-B661-C1AFB9F5AE53} - C:\Program Files\FireTrust\SiteHound\SiteHound.dll
O3 - Toolbar: SiteHound - {73F7F495-A325-4C52-BE48-5F97FA511E89} - C:\Program Files\FireTrust\SiteHound\SiteHound.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPQEASYACC] C:\Program Files\Compaq\Easy Access Button Support\StartEAK.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [srmclean] C:\Cpqs\Scom\srmclean.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Winamp Agent] C:\WINDOWS\system32\winamp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!ewido] "C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\ewido.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyStartUp] c:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Startup.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {11316B13-33F0-4C9F-BD55-09994CCFA8EB} - C:\Program Files\FireTrust\SiteHound\SiteHound.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra button: Support - {A21CCB86-75EC-4831-9EA4-E8BA93C0974B} - C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\SIGNUP\Presario.htm (HKCU)
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://store.presario.net/scripts/redirectors/presario/storeredir2.dll?s=consumerfav&c=3c01&lc=0409
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftup ... 6706797794
O16 - DPF: {9D190AE6-C81E-4039-8061-978EBAD10073} (F-Secure Online Scanner 3.0) - http://support.f-secure.com/ols/fscax.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
jdp

Advertisement
Register to Remove

Unread postby tim s » August 4th, 2006, 7:19 pm

Hi jdp,

Welcome to the MalWare Removal forums! I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.
HijackThis logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need
your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that happens.

In order to help me help you, please observe the following while we work:
  1. If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't continue, we don't want to start all over again!
  2. Understand that cleaning your computer can sometimes take multiple passes/posts,
    and it's important to follow the steps as listed including re-running scans as listed
  3. Please reply to this thread, do not start another.

If you can do those three things, everything should go smoothly
tim s
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby tim s » August 5th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Hi jdp
One or more of the identified infections is a backdoor trojan.

This allows hackers to remotely control your computer, steal critical system information and Download and Execute files

I would counsel you to disconnect this PC from the Internet immediately. If you do any banking or other financial transactions on the PC or if it should contain any other sensitive information, please get to a known clean computer and change all passwords where applicable, and it would be wise to contact those same financial institutions to apprise them of your situation.

Though the Trojan has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of Trojan, the best course of action would be a reformat and reinstall of the OS. Please read these for more information:

How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

When Should I Format, How Should I Reinstall

However, if you do not have the resources to reinstall your computer and would like me to attempt to clean it, I will be happy to do so.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Please let us know what you have decided to do in your next post
tim s
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

thanks for the reply

Unread postby jdp » August 6th, 2006, 9:29 pm

Hey tim s

Thanks for the help. There is no personal info on the computer, so thats no problem.
I can't do a reinstall because the computer can't read cd's anymore, the computer is just used for surfing and e-mail.

If you could give me a hand getting the trojan off it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

jdp
jdp

Unread postby tim s » August 8th, 2006, 3:53 pm

Hi jdp,
The first thing I need to get you to do is move HJT to its own folder to save backups
You currently are running HijackThis from here:
Desktop

Please make a folder here:
c:\HJT
and Unzip HijackThis into that folder.
A tutorial is Here if needed to see how to do this.
DO NOT follow the steps below until you have moved HijackThis.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you connecting to the internet in safe mode?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do the following:
To enable the viewing of Hidden files follow these steps:
  1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
  2. Double-click on the My Computer icon (or click Start, then select My Computer)
  3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  4. After the new window appears select the View tab.
  5. Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
  6. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
  7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
  8. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
  9. Press the Apply button and then the OK button and shutdown My Computer.
    Now your computer is configured to show all hidden files.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disable program can interfer with HJT fix.
Open Ewido

• On the main screen under Your Computer's security.
  • Click on Change state next to Resident shield. It should now change to inactive.
  • Close Ewido
  • Right-click the Ewido Tray Icon and choose Exit. Confirm by clicking Yes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next we need to stop a of process that is running on your computer

To do this...
Startup HJT and select the 4th button entitled "Open the misc tools section"
Under where it says system tools click on "Open process manager"
Now look for the following process in the list below, once you find it highlight it then click on the "killl process" button

• C:\WINDOWS\system32\winamp.exe
One you have done this click on the "Back" button in HJT (bottom right) then click on the "scan" button

Now select the followng entry by placing a tick in the left hand check box

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Winamp Agent] C:\WINDOWS\system32\winamp.exe

Once you have selected all entries then click once on the "fix checked" button to clear the entries from your log

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use Explorer to navigate to and delete the following file (if it is present):

Files:

• C:\WINDOWS\system32\winamp.exe

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Run Panda's ActiveScan from here and perform a full system scan.

1. Once you are on the Panda site click the "Scan your PC" button NOTE: If you have a popblocker enabled you will have to allow popup here.
2. A new window will open...click the big "Check Now" button
3. Enter your Country
4. Enter your State/Province
5. Enter your e-mail address and click send
6. Select either Home User or Company
7. Click the big Scan Now button
8. If it wants to install an ActiveX component allow it
9. It will start downloading the files it requires for the scan (Note: It will take a couple minutes)
10. Click on "Local Disks" to start the scan
11. Post Panda scan results in your next reply
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please post back a new HJT log that is run in normal mode and the panda scan results to check.
tim s
MRU Honors Grad Emeritus

Unread postby 'KotaGuy » August 20th, 2006, 4:29 pm